Can anyone get this to work?

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM
Hi all,

Bit alarmed at the number of people who are reporting errors.  Can anyone get this web part to work?  If not then I'll remove it until I can find the time to work on it to get it functioning.

Mike
Oct 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Edited Oct 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Mike,
i've just posted a reply in another thread, i am now able to get the webpart onto the page and adjust settings, however i'm now in the same boat as others with no map visible.

I'd love to have this working, i've already outlined the requirements and prepared the data, pity there's no map to render them on :) I've been looking into the microsoft virtual earth map, however your webpart provides the much needed link to a sharepoint list, which is exactly what i wanted.

I can achieve what i need using virtual earth, but the process is much more complicated as i need to involve external xml feeds.

thanks for your time on this! i look forward to it working :)

CT
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Hi Mike,

Although I have been able to help a few others, I still have been unable to even see this in the Web Part Gallery on my system, let alone attempt to configure it. I had found similar challenges on the SLK thread but nothing I have done seems to help.

Thanks for all the attention!!
Rich
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Hi mordant,
did you try the recommended fix from the other thread?

DanBDubai said:"I am new to sharepoint but you can add this web part by going to the top level site and then going to modify all site settings. Once there select Web parts under Galleries and then select new, Scroll down until you see the web part. Select it and then at the top select populate Gallery, once done you can go to the your sharpoint page and add the web part. This worked for me but the google map does not show up."

this didnt work for me at first, however after an iisreset the web part appears in the gallery [at root site level]. As i've said elsewhere though, the webpart fails to render the map when added to a page. Did you try this too?

ceetee
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Yes I did go thru the "New" section to try to populate and it wasn't listed.  I did try to reset the IIS and still no go.

Rich
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:16 AM
I have tried different types of site templates to get this webpart to work but no luck so far. I know i can access google maps as i have other Google Map Web Parts that work but they are based on XML files rather than sharepoint Lists. Can anyone point me in the right direction or a couple of things i can try to get the WebPart to work as its exactly what i have been looking for.
cheers

Dan
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:27 AM
Dan,
i dont think any of us have got this webpart to display the map, but your help got me as far as getting the thing onto a page. Unfortunately i fear we'll have to wait for mike to investigate why his webpart isnt working. I've populated my sharepoint lists etc and connected them to the webpart but still no map.

I spent some time with microsoft virtual earth, i found a few tutorials about connecting that to sharepoint lists via google, so you might want to look into that?... To be honest though, i think i'd like to use google maps, so i'm still hanging out for mike to perform some magic with this (no pressure! :)

I'll be spending some time on this next week as i have deadlines approaching....

mike, maybe using virtual earth instead of google in your webpart would improve matters?

ct
Oct 28, 2008 at 8:11 AM
Has anyone found a solution to this? So far if i add a second Google Map web part to the page that works this webpart displays the Types of maps and the google logo but no locations or map. I really wish i could get this working so i can make lifes easier with finding clients and our office. If anyone has any pointers on things to try let me know.
Apr 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM
I made it work!

I can now display the map. Just add the following to your CSS page:

#map
{
float:left;
width:70%;
height:500px;
}

#side_bar
{
float:right;